Haar

 


This poem began after I came across the word haar in a Tomas Tranströmer poem (I think). When I looked up this word I'd never seen, I found that it's a cold sea fog and also an object-detection algorithm relating to pixel intensities in adjacent rectangular regions. The poem brings together images that surfaced as I thought about these two different haars in connection with the rowanberries growing on the mountain ash in our back yard.

_____________________________________________________________________


Haar


Now is the time of rowanberries.
What a cascade of recog--
when I eat rowanberries raw
my lips pucker warm
and crabs ignite my dreams

after a long steep in a fogged ship.
Break the surface--big sea exhales 
the cold beginning of time.

A single berry
pixelates in the dark sky.

The constellations of every civilization
surge at once--turn together
a singular ceiling, an infinity of skulls.

Crabs have ten legs and all these nights
haunt the sky over my bed.

Myth overlaps myth
in a cross-stitch depicting
why we are here
and not there
before the time of rowanberries.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fool Parade

Hail the Size of Birth

Mint Leaves Burn Wild